It’s true that most people undergo orthodontic treatment during their adolescent years. For many students, having braces is almost a rite of passage and for this reason braces have long been associated with the high-school years in Australia.
It is, however, becoming much more common to see adults of all ages opting for orthodontics and today more than 20 percent of people with braces are adults. Part of this appeal for adults is thanks to the option of ceramic or lingual braces, or Invisalign aligners. Orthodontics has evolved enormously in the last two decades and there is now less pain, time and cosmetic detriment when having orthodontic treatment.
Why do adults choose to get braces?
- Overcrowding of teeth
- Shifting of teeth
- Poor bite
- Jaw pain
- Align teeth before crown and bridge work
- Improve gum and teeth health
- A beautiful smile they have always dreamed of
Are there any drawbacks for getting braces as an adult?
Age is by no means a limiting factor in getting braces, however, there are some factors to consider. If you have active gum disease, this must be addressed before fitting braces. Also, as an adult you have stopped growing and it can take longer to achieve your result (unless you have braces while pregnant – this period for a woman, thanks to prenatal hormones, sees tooth movement made faster and easier).
What are the benefits of having braces in your adult years?
- You are having treatment by your own choice and on your own terms.
- Maximise function and health of your gums and teeth.
- Improve your bite and alleviate issues such as grinding and headaches.
- Straight teeth help to provide a beautiful smile and a boost in confidence.
- Alignment options are vastly improved on what they were when you were a child.
Tips for wearing braces as an adult
- Choose clear braces, lingual braces (fitted behind the teeth) or Invisalign.
- Clean and floss teeth often and attend all dental appointments.
- Follow instructions from your orthodontist to the letter.
- Continue with regular dental check-ups.
- Make sure when treatment has been completed, you wear any retention device for as long as your orthodontist recommends
BLOG: Why choose Gullotta Orthodontics? Read all about it here.
Perhaps you were never given the option of getting braces as a child. Perhaps your parents could not afford it. Maybe you did have braces, but your teeth have moved since (they can become more crowded with age – or perhaps you did not wear your retainer).
The bottom line is, it is never too late for braces (think Gwen Stefani, Faith Hill, Faye Dunaway (at age 61), Nicholas Cage, Katherine Heigland Tom Cruise – all had braces as adults). With options such as Invisalign, there is no better time to create a lifelong smile.
Call Gullotta Orthodontics on (07) 5532 3433 today to make an appointment to learn how adult braces can benefit you.
READ: Find out why orthodontists do it better.